
Finally, a day to sleep in. We got ready and got to the beach around noon. We went to Newport and it was perfect beach weather. It was nice and warm with a slight breeze. Of course, the water was freezing, but my kids didn't mind. They had so much fun playing in the sand. The only problem was: the spray sunscreen ran out and I didn't realize it wasn't spraying much on Kyrie. She has a yucky sunburn, sorry Kyrie.
We went back to the hotel and got ready to go see Wicked. Our children received quite the education traveling down Hollywood Boulevard to the theater! I was so excited to see this show again. Kyrie got a Defying Gravity t-shirt and I got a witch hat key ring. Our seats weren't as good as I'd hoped, we were way far off to the side. But we could still see well. I was a little concerned because the part of Elphaba was played by the understudy. But I had nothing to worry about! This cast was AMAZING!!!! The wizard had a list of credits a mile long and was Wonderful (pun intended). His personality reminded me of Christopher Lloyd a little bit. Madame Morobal was played by Joanne Worley (from laugh-in and other tv stuff). I couldn't believe how awesome she was. Fiyero was from the original Broadway cast (need I say more?). Glinda was perfect. At times, she was a little like Marilyn Monroe with the sexy whisper. She loves to strike poses. And those high notes, WOW! But I think my favorite was the understudy. Her chest voice was incredible. Once in a while she had a little bit of rock sound in the runs and I was absolutely blown away. She doesn't sound like any other Elphaba I've heard before. I would love for her to take over the role permanantly on the touring company and come to Salt Lake next April. My favorite song was No Good Deed. It had some effects in it that weren't in the Denver show and with Elphaba's voice, it was beautiful. I can't wait to see it in SLC next year!



2 comments:
Sounds like you guys had a great trip! I can't wait to hear the transcript of the drive back home.
I want to see Wicked so bad. Boy, you guys have had a blast there, haven't you? I can't believe how grown up Kyrie is. I wish more of my students were like her. :) Good luck driving home!
Post a Comment